A 65 year-old female with a history of hypertension, hyperlipidemia and rheumatoid arthritis presents with generalized weakness and nausea/vomiting for 3 days. She denies fever, focal weakness, numbness or speech difficulty.
Vital signs were notable for hypotension (72/48mmHg), her examination revealed diffuse weakness but no focal deficits and her abdominal examination was unremarkable. Laboratory tests were notable for hyponatremia (117 mEq/L) and new renal dysfunction. She received 2L of intravenous fluids but remained hypotensive.
Additional history revealed that the patient had been out of her home medications (including prednisone) for the past 1 week. Samples for laboratory tests (cortisol, ACTH) were drawn and she was treated with hydrocortisone 100mg IV with subsequent improvement in blood pressure – she was admitted to the ICU for adrenal crisis.
An Algorithm for the Evaluation and Management of Adrenal Insufficiency and Crisis
- Idrose, A., Tintinalli, J., Ma, O., Yealy, D., Meckler, G., Stapczynski, J., Cline, D., Thomas, S. (2020). Adrenal Insufficiency Tintinalli’s Emergency Medicine: A Comprehensive Study Guide, 9e
- Carroll, T., Aron, D., Findling, J., Tyrrell, J., Gardner, D., Shoback, D. (2017). Glucocorticoids and Adrenal Androgens Greenspan’s Basic & Clinical Endocrinology, 10e
- Dineen, R., Thompson, C., Sherlock, M. (2019). Adrenal crisis: prevention and management in adult patients Therapeutic Advances in Endocrinology and Metabolism 10(), 2042018819848218. https://dx.doi.org/10.1177/2042018819848218
- Rushworth, R., Torpy, D., Falhammar, H. (2019). Adrenal Crisis New England Journal of Medicine 381(9), 852-861. https://dx.doi.org/10.1056/nejmra1807486
- Amrein, K., Martucci, G., Hahner, S. (2018). Understanding adrenal crisis Intensive Care Medicine 44(5), 652-655. https://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s00134-017-4954-2
- Oelkers, W. (1996). Adrenal Insufficiency The New England Journal of Medicine 335(16), 1206-1212. https://dx.doi.org/10.1056/nejm199610173351607
- Tucci, V., Sokari, T. (2014). The Clinical Manifestations, Diagnosis, and Treatment of Adrenal Emergencies Emergency Medicine Clinics of North America 32(2), 465-484. https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.emc.2014.01.006
- Bleicken, B., Hahner, S., Ventz, M., Quinkler, M. (2010). Delayed Diagnosis of Adrenal Insufficiency Is Common: A Cross-Sectional Study in 216 Patients The American Journal of the Medical Sciences 339(6), 525-531. https://dx.doi.org/10.1097/maj.0b013e3181db6b7a
- Broersen, L., Pereira, A., Jørgensen, J., Dekkers, O. (2015). Adrenal Insufficiency in Corticosteroids Use: Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism 100(6), 2171-2180. https://dx.doi.org/10.1210/jc.2015-1218
- Joseph, R., Hunter, A., Ray, D., Dixon, W. (2016). Systemic glucocorticoid therapy and adrenal insufficiency in adults: A systematic review Seminars in Arthritis and Rheumatism 46(1), 133-141. https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.semarthrit.2016.03.001